Act today to save Sustainable Communities!
This Tuesday, the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development will vote on funding for the Sustainable Communities Initiative in the FY 2013 budget. Through this program, investments in affordable housing and good jobs near transit are being planned in 142 cities and regions across the country—with equity advocates planning for their communities’ futures. Maybe you live in one of these places.
However, Congress isn’t so sure that these investments are necessary. Last year, they voted to zero out funding for the Sustainable Communities program in the FY 2012 budget. This year, we have to make sure Congress knows how important these investments are to increasing access to opportunity for communities that have been left behind.
Call, tweet, and write on your Senators’ wall and tell them that every community should be a Sustainable Community.
Tell your Senators to support Sustainable Communities by:
• Fully funding the Sustainable Communities program at $100 million for the FY 2013 budget
• Building healthy communities and strong regions with good jobs, housing, and transportation
• Bringing private, public, and nonprofit sectors together to rebuild our economies
Please call key Senators (in this order) before the looming vote as soon as Tuesday and tell them to fully fund the Sustainable Communities program.
• If your own Senator is on this list, call her or him first.
• Call the Chair, Senator Murray
• Call the Ranking member, Senator Collins
• Post this call to action to Facebook and Twitter so as many constituents as possible are calling their Senators
• Call as many other Senators on the list as possible
• Watch the hearing here, and keep the conversation going online!
Please let us know who you called and how they responded by e-mailing us here!